Sunday, 3 January 2010

Sweet Potato and Beer Facepack, as nice as it sounds.............

If you're on day 2 or 3 of the New Year detox, you've got leftover beer you're trying your hardest not to drink and a fridge full of "superfood" vegetables, most of which you don't know how to cook and you'll be throwing out at the end of the week, then I have found the perfect recipe for you!

I spotted over at Bella Sugar a moisturizing and clarifying mask from Return to Beautya book of traditional skincare recipes. All you need is a cup of mashed sweet potato with two tablespoons of beer mixed in. Apply the mask all over your face and neck, and keep it on for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and apply your toner or moisturizer.

And never let it be said I recommend things I haven't tried first (there's not much on TV tonight) and I'm a big fan of natural skincare, although admittedly I normally let Liz Earle mix them up for me.


Mixing it up was the easy bit - without having the original recipe to hand I don't know if it specifies a particlar style of beer but I opted for a Leffe, for no other reason than it's been in the house the longest so least likely to get drank anytime soon.

Getting it to stay on my face was the hard part, which has a certain amount of irony given how well it adhered to the surrounding bathroom, so I had to resort to using the back of the spoon to spread it on.

Once I had it on my face it was revolting - it smelt, felt, looked and tasted like I'd vomited on my own face after a long night out but in the vain hope I might look 10 years younger I stuck it out for the full 15 minutes.

And was it worth it - well, my skin does feel quite soft but has an orange tinge that doesn't seem to want to wash off and a slight smell of sick still. My advice - use the sweet potato to make chips and enjoy with a beer in front of the telly!

3 comments:

Lost said...

This was a hilariously interesting read. I hope the orange tinge goes away soon!

-Lost

Kristy said...

Thank you - fortunately skin colour seems to have returned to normal although I am still picking sweet potato out my ear ;o)

Cooking Lager said...

I love it. Beer blog post of 2010 and its only January. Mash up beer and spuds and stick your head in!. Why have I never thought of this? I havbe now.